Here are my top 10 exercises for people 50 and older from my book, "Raising the Bar at 50 and Older."
1. Squats are important to maintain strength in the lower body muscles. They are also important to strengthen the knees. Squatting regularly will help you to stay strong enough to stand up and sit down with no problems.
2. Band or Dumbbell Row: This exercise is very important to maintaining good posture. Performing a row works your upper back muscles.
3. Push-ups are great for the upper body (chest, shoulders, and triceps) but also the core. Since push-ups are a moving plank, they are great to strengthen the lower back and abs.
4. Dead lifts: This is my favorite exercise. It works all the posterior muscles (back of thighs, butt, lower back). You can use a kettle bell, dumb bell, or barbell to perform this exercise.
5. Moving side squat: It’s important to incorporate lateral movements in exercises. Most people focus on going front to back but forget about moving side to side.
6. Seated twist or Russian twist: This movement is important because it works on rotation and you are moving in a different plane of motion.
7. Lunges: This is great to work on all the lower body muscles as well as balance.
8. Planks: This is great for the core but is a total body exercise.
9. Dead Bug: This is a great exercise for the core
10. Bird Dogs: This is a great exercise for the core and posture.
LT Fit is bootcamp training service in Durham, Canada. We offer premium health coaching services to the Ajax, Pickering, Whitby and Oshawa areas.